AD was founded in 1981 by Bill Weisberg’s father, David Weisberg. Bill became sole owner and Chairman of the group in 1991. Under Bill’s leadership, AD expanded into seven additional wholesale industries, increased its total annual sales for the group’s members to over $35 billion and grew its net distributions to group members to more than $650 million per year.
Bill said: “One of the saddest things to witness in any industry is what happens when an independent distributor sells to a national chain. Long time suppliers, customers and employees are often negatively affected. And so, it was important to me, as a person who’s spent almost my entire career at AD, that it would transition to people and companies that highly valued our culture, people, strategy and services. I’m very pleased that AD’s members are now our owners and will directly elect AD’s Board. There’s no doubt in my mind that under their direction, the management team and I can continue to serve our members and supplier partners with great distinction and provide fulfilling work, in a positive environment, for our associates.”
Russ Visner, co-chair of the Board, Etna Distributors and chairperson of the Special Committee that led the process said: “The original plan, established many years ago, was to transition ownership to AD’s members upon Bill’s departure. However, we felt that it would be better if he was still involved when we made the move. In that way Bill could assist in the transition and continue to help our members and suppliers grow during the remaining years on his contract.”
The initial directors of the AD LLC Board are:
• Tim Arenberg, president and CEO, Columbia Pipe & Supply
• Martin Deschenes, vice chairman, Group Deschenes
• Jeff Hockin, CEO, Crum Electric Supply
• Tim Horsman, president and CEO, E.B. Horsman Company
• Lenin Juarez, managing partner, Action Gypsum Supply, LP
• Tammy Miller, CEO, Border States
• Brian Peirce, president and CEO, Peirce-Phelps Inc.
• Jeff Pope, president, F.W. Webb Company
• Donald Slominski Jr, president and CEO, McNaughton McKay Electric Company
• John Wiborg, president, Stellar Industrial Supply Inc.