Subscribe to our newsletters & stay updated
Representing the very best of the nation’s next generation of skilled workers, 12 HVAC apprentices competed in the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors—National Association (PHCC) Educational Foundation’s fourth annual HVAC Apprentice Contest in San Antonio, Texas.
After showcasing their talents Oct. 19 and 20 during PHCC’s annual CONNECT conference and tradeshow, three apprentices received the top prize packages. This year’s winners are:
• 1st Place – Jonathan Barrick, Shapiro & Duncan, Inc., Rockville, Maryland (sponsored by Emerson)
• 2nd Place – Jasen O’Brien, Kuenster Heating & Air, Kalona, Iowa (sponsored by NATE)
• 3rd Place – Aaron Barcus, UA Local 597 Training Center, Chicago, Illinois (sponsored by Milwaukee Tool)
Judged by the Educational Foundation’s HVAC Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee, contestants participated in six events, held both on the tradeshow floor and off-site at St. Philip’s College in San Antonio. Technical assistance was provided by UA Local 142, also in San Antonio.
Each year, the Educational Foundation heavily relies on industry representatives to coordinate, set-up, supervise and judge the contest. Special thanks go to this year’s volunteers:
• Scott Balmer, Chair, ShoffnerKalthoff Mechanical Electrical Service, Knoxville, Tennessee
• James Bowman, RectorSeal, Houston, Texas
• Becky Hoelscher, Emerson, Sidney, Ohio
• Jamie Kitchen, Danfoss, Shelburne, Ontario, Canada
• Joey Lowe, Gundlach Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical, Richmond, Virginia
• Warren Lupson, Air-Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Institute, Arlington, Virginia
• Jimmy Meyer, UA Local 142, San Antonio, Texas
• Ken Nielsen, AccuAire, Inc., Reading, Massachusetts
• Thomasena Philen, Daikin North America, Carrollton, Texas
• Jamie Price, Alabama Power, Verbena, Alabama
• Paul Savage, UA Local 142, San Antonio, Texas
• Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Inc., Des Moines, Iowa
• Frank Southers, UA Local 142, San Antonio, Texas
• Brent Sweer, PHCC of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
• Juan Villela, St. Philip’s College, San Antonio, Texas
To make this valuable event possible, the Foundation also depends on these generous industry sponsors:
Headline Sponsors: Milwaukee Tool and Uponor.
Contestant Sponsors: AC Pro; BrassCraft Manufacturing Co.; Emerson; Milwaukee Tool; NATE; NIBCO, Inc.; PHCC National Auxiliary; RIDGID; and Uponor.
Additional prizes, materials and other support were provided by: AC Pro; Aireco, Inc.; Alabama Power; Appion, Inc.; Bradford White; BrassCraft Manufacturing Co.; Copper Development Association, Inc.; Daikin North America; Danfoss; Emerson Climate Technologies; Fluke; Goodheart-Willcox Publisher; Greene & Associates, Inc.; Harris Products Group; Hilmor; Matheson Gas; Milwaukee Tool; NATE; NIBCO, Inc.; PHCC of San Antonio, PHCC National Auxiliary RectorSeal; R.E.C. Industries, Inc.; RIDGID; Ritchie Engineering/Yellow Jacket; St. Philip’s College; UA Local 142; and Worthington Industries.