Fernco, Inc has moved its manufacturing and distribution center to a brand-new facility located in Davison, Mich. Continuing the company’s commitment to the Davison community and businesses, the new 150,000 sq. ft. facility is located a mile from the Fernco office headquarters.
Established in 1964, Fernco humbly began in a Master Plumber’s garage with a patent of the ‘Donut.’ Fernco began to work closely with wholesale distributors to ensure products were manufactured and delivered quickly to meet customer demand. After more experimentation, Fernco introduced the first Fernco flexible coupling to the market in 1973 with a bid from Dallas, Texas.
Expanding throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, South America and Central America, it was clear that Fernco would need more space in order to focus on product development and excellent customer service.
“This expansion is a testament and commitment to the community, employees, suppliers, agents and customers who have all had a hand in us achieving this great milestone,” said Mark Cooper, president of Fernco. “And with all of their help, we will continue to set new milestones.”
Beginning the planning process in 2014, construction of the building began in the winter of 2015. In Oct. 2015, Fernco celebrated the building’s grand opening to congratulate the employees, customers and factory representatives for their dedication and hard-work throughout the years.
By Nov. 2015, Fernco’s distribution center was officially functioning and fully-operational in the new facility. Three months later, a machine produced the first coupling in the building—a 1056-68. Since firing the first machine, all equipment was transferred in April 2016.
The new 150,000 sq. ft. manufacturing and distribution facility features new technology and lean processes to improve productivity. Housing new state-of-the-art electric injection machines and robotic equipment, Fernco has reduced cycle times and dramatically increased both production and shipping capacity by 15 percent.